Saturday, February 23, 2013

Make your own hand sanitizer - alcohol free

Found another pin I had to do right away.  I found it while doing bedtime on my Kindle, ie; waited for the boys to be asleep enough for me to leave.  I charged the Kindle overnight and left it right on the pin so I didnt forget!  As luck would have it, I had an errand to run to the Habitat for Humanity Restore.  I purchased  metal closet doors for the play room (another post coming soon) and as I was leaving, they had a ton of these little bottles in blue.  The are the pop up type.  They also had very large pump type bottle in blue.  I only bought these little ones, as I couldnt think of anything I could do with the large quick enough.  I'm a sucker for a good deal.  These little ones were .10 and brand new.  Just because it's donated to the Restore, doesnt means it's been used!  You should check them out!
 This is his formula:
Alcohol-Free Homemade Hand Sanitizer
  • Start with a recycled hand sanitizer bottle or liquid soap bottle, or similar.. like I did :)
  • Add 1 Tablespoon of aloe vera gel
  • 10 drops each of the essential oils.  I used orange and lemon, and lavender.  And I used Melalueca tea tree oil in all of them for a cleaning & healing agent, just a few drops..a little goes a long way.  (a mix I've also seen: lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus and clove bud)   
  • Top off the bottle with water and shake it up. Put onto hands and massage into hands for 5-10 seconds.  It's water based so it's not going to try like an alcohol one does.




 I created a simple label and used packing tape to put them on the bottles.
 The boys helped and had fun counting the drops and shaking them up.  Total time for this project was about 30 min for the 7 bottles (one is hiding)
Have fun!  Smell nice, and be clean...



No comments: