Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Mama's Guac



My Mama's Guac.  It's the best I've ever had.  My mom made this all the time and I'm not sure if she came up with the mix herself, but it's awesome.
This batch making consists of 5 avocados.  Cut in half and get remove the pit.  Use a spoon to get the avocado out.  
Do you know how to check if the avocado is good or not?  Use this trick at the store too.  One way is the firmness of the skin.  Squeeze, if it's really hard is not ready, so you can purchase and let them soften at home.  But if they are not firm, pick off the top.  Not sure what it is called.  It's like a button to the avocado.  If it's green, you are good.  If it's brown, it's too late for them :0(
Once they are all in a bowl, use the same knife you cut them in 1/2 with, to then cut them in the bowl.  just random where ever to get into smaller pieces.  You can mash with a fork too.  Sometimes I put in the blender to make super smooth, but it's not necessary.  Make sure to use a stainless or glass bowl when you do the knife cutting trick in the bowl.  The knife will make marks in your plastic bowl.  


These are all the ingredients:
(these are the basis of mine, but you can add or remove what fits your taste)
5 avocados
1.5 t. salt
1 t. garlic salt or powder/or raw garlic
2 c. salsa, fresh is best (mine is artisan fresh from sam's club) unless I can make my own
2 c. cottage cheese (secret ingr!)
2 T. or more of lemon juice, fresh is best (not shown)



Mix it all up, and do a taste test if you need to add more.  It's usually the lemon or the salt that are needed.  But you can add more of the salsa and cottage cheese to increase the ratio and have more for the quantity of avocados.  Make your avocado go farther :0)

Here's the after.  So fluffy and yummy.. These rectangle type chips are the best, my favorite, but pick your fav and dig in!

This is a great teacher and welcome to the neighborhood gift with a bag of chips or not.  I have one teacher that loves it and I give her a jar from time to time and she's not even my daughters teacher anymore.  It makes me happy that she loves and enjoys it.


enjoy!  and tell me if you try it, and like it of course!!




No comments: